Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Skype


The first thing that came to mind when I read the name of my new chosen technology Skype was…well that’s an interesting name. I had never heard of this new media before, nor did I have any indication of what a powerful tool it can be.

Skype is essentially software that allows users to make telephone calls over the Internet. This seemed rather boring at first, but reading further into it’s capabilities I’ve learned that Skype is a pretty incredible tool. Skype users have a plethora of free features and additions available at their fingertips. Some of the basic free features include a global use directory, call forwarding, instant messaging, file transfers, call logs and the added mobility that you are able to log into Skype from anywhere in the world.

Created by Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friss in Tallinn, Estonia, Skye now has its headquarters in Luxembourg. In April 2003 the skype.com domain name was registered, and in 2005 eBay purchased Skype making it an official eBay product. Since this purchase Skype has experienced a dramatic growth, and is now available in 28 languages in almost every country around the world.

The only question I had was what makes this product so different that so many individuals and corporations would want it. Well, Skype has some really incredible features, especially for people looking to study abroad or who have family abroad. SkypIn has essentially made long distance phone cards obsolete. SkypeIn users can receive calls on their home computer or hand held devices that have been dialed by regular local phone numbers. This means that although Skype to Skype phone calls are free, your friends and family members do not need to be Skype users to contact you. Local numbers are available for Australia, Brazil, Chile, France, Japan, Mexico, Sweden, UK and the United States to name a few. What does this mean? Basically, a Skype user can have a local number in any of the participating countries, and will pay the same rate as any other citizen of that country would on a fixed line. I came to find out that my roommate’s best friend actually used this exact technology to contact her while studying abroad in Spain!

Imagine the possibilities that this feature alone could have on the entire make up of international affairs, both in and out of the world of public relations. It would certainly save corporations and agencies a significant amount of money, making it plausible for small agencies to connect with the rest of the world.

A few other available features that could be really useful in the field of public relations is conference calling, and video calling. Conference calling allows you to have up to five to ten people on one call depending upon the particular technology each person is using. This feature allows you to have a conference call with all the necessary contributors in one easy step without ever leaving your computer desk or wireless device.

Overall I’ve learned that Skype is a pretty good name, because the sky seems to be the limit with this new technology. It’s no wonder that Skype has become the leading internet communications company.

By: Shannon Lazo

5 comments:

Brittney Watson said...

This is very interesting and so cool. It is amazing how technology is progressing day by day. I remember when computers were the new "it." I would have never imagined the possibilities of contacting friends or family via computer.

I am in a new media and it constantly awes me by learning how technology continues to advance...especially when it seems like there are no other ways to use it. I guess there really is no end to the use of technology.

I enjoyed the post. I learned something new.

Brittney Watson said...

This is very interesting and so cool. It is amazing how technology is progressing day by day. I remember when computers were the new "it." I would have never imagined the possibilities of contacting friends or family via computer.

I am in a new media class and it constantly awes me by learning how technology continues to advance...especially when it seems like there are no other ways to use it. I guess there really is no end to the use of technology.

I enjoyed the post. I learned something new.

ADPR Fall 2008 - English said...

I never realized this is how Skype worked. My family hosted a German exchange student last year and he would skype all the time with his friends and family back home.

I always equated it with iChat. Now I understand the convenience of Skype-- the two people communicating don't have to have the same equipment. For instance, if one person doesn't have a webcam, they can still communicate via Skype.

--Allison Key

ADPR Fall 2008 - English said...

I actually used Skype to talk to my family and boyfriend while I was studying abroad in Spain. It is so fantastic and free!! I bought a web cam before my trip and I was able to see my friends and family for as long as I wanted to.

It really is a cool piece of technology to use to communicate with people around the world. I know all the Spanish were using skype as well. Its a great way to keep people connected.

- Ellen Greenwell

ADPR Fall 2008 - English said...

I know a few international students who love Skype. I have never used it myself, but I can see the benefits. As we talked about in class, if they can make a handheld, portable version of Skype, cell phones could be obsolete. Talk about weird!!

-Rachel Atcheson