Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Flickr

Social media is the new rage, and Flickr is an online outlet for photography fanatics. Launched in February 2004 by Ludicorp, Flickr is an online photo management and sharing application that allows its members to share and network through photos and videos. I love to take photos of my friends and family, so to me it seems like a great way to do all of my editing, organizing and sharing from one Web site.

I originally had no idea how to use Flickr or what it really was, but the Web site had a helpful tour to show me each step of the photo sharing process, and even gave examples of what I could do with each feature. There were also helpful screen-print graphics that illustrated examples of what I can do with my pictures.

There are five different ways to upload pictures to the Web site, including using the Flickr Uploadr or e-mailing them from a mobile camera phone, so anyone should be able to find a way that works for them.

Flickr partnered with Picnik to edit photos, reduce red-eye, crop, rotate, change colors, add special effects and more to any photo. The example on their Web site shows how a picture of a lamb can be edited to look like it is wearing a crown and confetti is flying around it.

Once you have edited your photos, you can organize them into Sets based on a certain theme or photo subject, for example, a favorite pet or vacation spot. You can combine similar Sets into Collections, such as “World Travels” or “2007,” for even better organization. Both Sets and Collections are created by using the Organizr, which allows you to perform common tasks on multiple photos. You can also share pictures in three different categories of groups: public, public (invite only) or private. Every group has a discussion board to talk to others within the group and a pool to share photos and videos. There are also many privacy controls that you can adjust so you control who sees your pictures and what pictures you see.

Other fun features include a map that you can use to see where photos were taken, and you can use your photos to make photobooks, calendars and more.

You can also keep in touch with friends and family on Flickr by adding people as contacts whether or not they have a Flickr account. That can be a really useful tool in public relations since it helps you build and maintain relationships. Flickr allows you to easily stay up to date with what other people are doing, and they can do the same for you.

By: Lauren Rohde

4 comments:

ADPR Fall 2008 - English said...

Wow...I have to admit that I had no idea what Flickr was, though I've often heard people talk about it often. This is a big step up from that last photo database website I've utilized...anyone remember Webshots? Anyway, I love the fact that you have the option of editing your photos on the site- even if you wish to do something as ridiculous as add confetti and party hats to a baby lamb you captured on camera. And what I really like is the very useful privacy settings...I always wanted the option of a "public" album that was invite-only, but Webshots only had two discrete options- public or private. Flickr seems like a great site and I enjoy the fact that it seems to facilitate the idea of community. Thanks for the information!
-Tiffany Hobbs

ADPR Fall 2008 - English said...

I had heard a lot of people mention Flickr in passing but I had never really understood exactly what it was. Thank you for this post it was really straightfoward, and to the point. I'm thinking about setting up an account, simply so I can edit my photos without buying photoshop.
- Shannon Lazo

ADPR Fall 2008 - English said...

I have always heard about Flickr but I always assumed it would be hard to use. I never realized how easy it is to use. It seems to be a great way edit and share photos.I love that friends and family can see your photos. It would be a great thing to use if you lived far away from family or friends. Thanks for the very informative post!

- Ellen Greenwell

ADPR Fall 2008 - English said...

I have been considering setting up a photo-sharing account for a while now. I wonder what the differences between Flickr, Hello, Picasa, Smilebox and other photo-sharing software are. Although these sites are primarily used for personal photo-sharing, do you think they will continue to expand to professional uses? How are these photo-sharing sites going to influence the PR and communication industry? For now, I am going to enjoy this photo-sharing account for my personal use, but perhaps someday I will be utilizing it for my profession.

-Brittany Raines